Designer Rebecca Asquith
Hexagonal shapes are prolific throughout nature. Most notably, these shapes are seen in the hive of the honey bee. A honeycomb cell is one of nature’s most efficient designs – there is not one unnecessary surface.
Made from lightweight felted polyester, the Nectar lampshade draws its inspiration from the beehive. During the day it is a soft reminder of the beauty of nature and the amazing strength of the honeycomb structure. At night the Nectar comes alive with a warm and comforting inner glow that also highlights the structure and craftsmanship of the shade.
Half shade: 260mmH x 360mmD
Full shade: 690mmH x 360mmD
100% Polyester, steel spider and ring
- The shade is made from 100% polyester (92% recycled content) that is UV stabilised to provide resistance to colour fade and moisture so that it won’t stain, rot or break down. It is also a non-rip, non-fray, non-toxic, non-allergenic, highly durable and easy-to-clean material.
- Can come as a flat packed kitset to minimise packaging materials and to reduce its size for transport. Assembly required.
- It is cleverly constructed in such a way that it does not require any glue or clips for its assembly or any frame work to keep its shape, apart from a steel ring top and bottom.
- Die cut with the parts tightly nested together to minimise waste.
- All off-cuts from the production process are taken back by the manufacturer to be recycled into new material.
Award winner 2012:
The Edge is a curated exhibition within the Australian International Furniture Fair in Sydney.
It showcased 40 emerging designers from around the world, all of which were competing in the design competition. Four awards are offered within The Edge, these are judged by a panel of leading Australian and international designers.
The Nectar lampshades gained the admiration of the judges and earned the Best Commercial Product award as well as the Best Green Product Award.
The judges comments about the Nectar lampshade Collection were:
“Extremely well resolved modular concept, striking and original, unusual, scalable and flexible, economical and excellent commercial potential.”
“Here is a product that does not look like an eco product yet displays deep green thinking, proof that good design must embrace sustainability, a product that is emotional, a tribute to nature and makes post industrial waste attractive.”